Monday, November 16, 2015

Vet School Essentials: First Year

Vet school is tough, you will hear that frequently from the moment you decide you are going to apply, until well after you've been accepted and enrolled in your classes. It can be hard to pack up your entire life and move into a professional career, especially if you are just coming out of undergrad. What is professional school like? Do you really need textbooks? What about a calculator? Notebooks? It can be confusing, and fortunately, many schools have forums and Facebook groups for incoming students to join and they can have all these questions answered. But if you're not into social media, fear not. I'll tell you what I think are the essentials for your first year in vet school.

iPad: or some sort of tablet or laptop. This will be a life saver in lecture, as well as outside of lecture. You can download all the power points into a note-taking app such as One Note or Notability (I prefer Notability), and then highlight, add notes, or customize the presentations for your studying. Many students take notes directly on their electronic device. I am old school, and still hand write my notes, but I always have my iPad open with the lecture slides pulled up in case I miss something, because professors sometimes speak FAST.

Notebooks: For those of you who are like me, and learn best by hand writing your notes, notebooks are crucial. Now, any cheap notebook will suffice, so don't worry about getting the fancy five-subject notebooks, because chances are, you are going to have a LOT of notes. I actually went through an entire three subject notebook for one class in one quarter because I took so many notes, and often re-wrote my notes to help me remember. Because I used so much paper, the cheap notebooks were a better investment for second quarter.

Writing Supplies: Pencils are great, but they tend to smear, so I write my notes in pen. Actually several pens. I like to color code notes, and often will go over my notes when I study by underlining or boxing concepts and key ideas to remember. Highlighters are also excellent tools for color coding your notes, and highlighting texts. However, keep some #2 pencils on hand for those pesky scantrons!

Whiteboard: Whiteboards are great for quizzing your friends, and testing yourself with drawing out pathways for biochemistry, or blood vessels and nerves for anatomy. I use a small one during study group, but having a large one at home is great if you want to draw out larger maps or pathways. Have a collection of different colored dry erase markers to make your maps easy to navigate.

Textbooks: Okay, confession: I never bought the textbooks for classes. For the most part, the exam information was presented in class. However, the textbooks are a great source if you don't understand a concept and are looking for clarification , or if you are looking for additional information on a subject. So if you feel like you might even consider using the textbook, go for it and buy them. And buy them on Amazon, because they are cheaper!

Backpack: While backpacks don't necessarily look the most professional, they are the most practical for students who have large, heavy textbooks to carry, ie: vet students. Do yourself, and your back, a favor and use one with two straps rather than a messenger bag or tote. Your shoulders will thank you!

Planner: I don't care if you are the most organized person on Earth, having a planner will SAVE your life in vet school. Unlike undergrad, your classes rarely meet at the same time every week, and for many schools, some classes last only a few weeks and begin in the middle of the term. Being able to know when and where you need to be is always a good way to succeed in vet school. You can use an electronic device (I use iCal), or an old fashioned book-style planner. I keep my class schedule in the iCal, but use my other planner for everything else. I make my to-do lists daily, and keep track of all my exams, simulations, and volunteer events that way.

Printer: I really think this is a good investment for students. Sure you can print at the library, but having a printer at home comes in really handy for printing last minute things, especially if you are a night owl like myself. Having one with a scanner might come in handy as well, because you can scan notes into the computer and add them to Notability or OneNote.

Good Snacks: Okay, this is a little random, but I am a big snacker. I like to eat something every couple of hours. Not only does this help you stay awake in class, it keeps your blood sugar from dropping, and keeps your mind focused on lecture rather than lunch. I think whatever you like to eat is considered a good snack, as long as it isn't messy, have loud wrappers, or capable of stinking up a lecture hall. My favorite snacks for class are trail mixes, protein bars, and fruit or vegetables.

Good Bedding: I'm a huge advocate of the nap, and thanks to polyphasic sleep cycles, I take a lot of naps. Sleep is especially important in vet school, because it helps you maintain your mental health as well as your physical health. I refuse to sacrifice sleep unless I absolutely have to, and I make it a priority to ensure that I am well rested. The key to good sleep, in my book, is having good bedding. That means investing in a high quality mattress, and having sheets with a thread count of at least 400 (the higher the better). Also, have supportive pillows so you don't wake up with a headache or stiff neck. In addition, black out curtains have been an amazing investment, especially in sunny Arizona!

Scrubs: Chances are, you will probably have an anatomy lab. Scrubs are great for anatomy lab because they are comfortable, relatively inexpensive, and easy to clean. Your school may have a preference on color, but most are usually open in regard to brand. My favorite brands are Butter Soft and Urbane. I think the quality is excellent, but they are also really soft. Also, take the time to invest in some comfortable shoes. As ugly as they are, Danskos have saved my life when it comes to standing for long periods of time, plus they are easy to clean. And let's face it-anatomy lab is gross, and stuff is gonna get on your shoes.

Stethoscope: This is a necessary tool for all veterinarians to have, so invest in one early on so you can become comfortable with using one. I have the Littman Cardiology III, and it is awesome.

Penlight: You will need this for physical exams, and they are cheap, so pick one up early so you don't forget.

Watch: NOT Digital. I made that mistake, and it is incredibly hard to count six seconds if your using a digital watch. But it works nonetheless, it just takes me a little longer to calculate heart rates.

Those are the most crucial supplies I think first year vet students should have. What school supplies can't you live without?

1 comment: