Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Interview 101

Getting the interview invite is one of the most exciting parts of applying to vet school. Although I have only ever received one interview, I said from the beginning, "If I can make it to the interview, I can get into that school." That may sound pompous or pretentious, but I truly feel that way.

I didn't get into vet school because of my grades.

 I got here because of my interview skills, which are a reflection of my personality, and my experiences with work/volunteering. The interview is your chance to showcase those things and allow the school to see who you are as a candidate. I have had several job interviews, and the one thing each interviewer has told me was that they admired my personality. It was because of my personality that I often was offered jobs that I wasn't entirely qualified for.

Case point, I was the least qualified person that applied to the hospital, but the pharmacy manager told me that I was chosen because I had such a special personality. Now, this could all be entirely false, but I like to think that I have social skills that are at a superior level, and when combined with my intellect and grasp of the English language, I can reason my way through any situation.

That being said, I have assembled some interview tips for you all to consider:

1. Be genuine.
 I hate the term, "be yourself", because there are different versions of yourself. I certainly act differently at home with my family than I do when I am in a professional setting. If I were to always be myself, I would probably be visiting HR quite often. Instead, I like the term, genuine. This means you should be a reflection of the person you want to be. In the same aspect, don't try to be something you are not. If you aren't interested in research, don't claim that you want to seek an internship in public health. Interviewers are able to see when you are putting on an act, so don't try to pretend to be someone you aren't.

2. Be honest, for the most part.
 There are certain areas where you should never ever lie, such as, your experiences, job history, and volunteer opportunities. BUT, that doesn't mean that you can't exaggerate your skill sets within those areas. No one is completely honest in an interview; we want to make ourselves look the best we can, especially when we are competing for a coveted spot. Therefore, be honest, but avoid mentioning any negative in your interview.

3. Do your Research.
It is important to know the company/school you are interviewing with. By having information about the school ahead of time, you can frame your answers to mention why that school is the right one for you. For example, say they want to know whether you intend to pursue small animal or large animal medicine. If you are interviewing at a school such as Iowa, you could mention that you are interested in working with pigs, especially since there is a large Swine Research Center in Ames.

4. Bouncing off #3, Ask Questions.
This will allow you to in some ways control your interview, and in the case of my interview, it almost felt as though I was asking them why I should pick their school over another. Ask what that school has to offer in comparison to other schools. Ask how the classes are framed. Ask what clubs are offered for students. Ask about housing, and study groups. Having an active interest in the school shows that you are serious about attending there, and will also help you make a decision, should you be so blessed to receive several offers.

5. Wear a SUIT.
 One thing that bothered me about my interview group was that some students dressed in business casual attire. While this probably has nothing to do with their decision, wearing a suit shows that you are already acting in a professional manner. My school requires students to dress business casual, and when they see suits, they know that you are interviewing for something. A suit is an example of your professionalism.

Men, have your suit tailored to fit you well, and you will be able to use that for many years. Shine your shoes, and invest in a nice tie clip and cuff links. Dressing well will help you feel confident.

Ladies, knee length skirts, but nothing short. No low-cut tops under your jackets, and make sure the jacket fits you well. Tailoring can make a pencil skirt look amazing on anyone. Also, wear appropriate shoes. No stilettos or open-toed sandals. Make sure you can walk in them for two reasons: 1) They may take you on a walking tour of the campus and you will be on your feet for awhile and 2) No one wants to see you teetering around like a newborn calf (or a freshman girl on frat row). Keep your hair well groomed, and neutral makeup. Minimal jewelry and accessories as well. A few classic pieces will be fine.

Those are my top tips for doing well in the vet school interviews. Most of all, have fun and make friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment