Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Deciding to Pursue Vet Med

One of the biggest questions people asked me when I was applying to vet school was: "How did you know vet school was right for you?" Certainly, choosing to pursue any doctorate program is a heavy decision, but vet school is financially perhaps the most expensive, as well as one of the most difficult programs to get into.

My decision to apply to vet school came later than a lot of students. Growing up, I always loved animals and wanted to work with them, but there were several factors that prevented me from beginning this path from an undergraduate level. I majored in English Language and Literature, as well as obtained a degree in German Language. I thought teaching would provide me with a stable career with room to pursue higher education throughout my life. After six months of teaching, I realized that this was not a career I could be happy with, despite the steady income and hours. Veterinary Medicine was the only thing that really kept my interest and I could only see myself working in the medical field.

I was accepted to Midwestern University at the age of 26. I think that by waiting until I was older before applying had the benefit of allowing me to learn how to be an adult. I can't imagine beginning a doctorate program immediately following undergrad. For me, this was the best option. I was able to pay down some debt, while learning how to manage time and money.

The best advice that I can give pre-vet students is to take your time before committing to vet school. Make sure that you are emotionally and physically capable of handling the stress that comes with entering medical school. The veterinarian's  job outlook is different from the human doctor's outlook. We typically work worse hours, while being paid much much less. That is one misconception many people have about veterinarians. Everyone assumes that we all will make six figures from the moment we pass our boards, but in reality, even if we land a high paying job, we have a higher average debt than most other doctoral graduates. That being said, choosing this career is not for the faint at heart. It is a path that must be prepared for well ahead of ever entering a classroom.

Choosing to pursue veterinary medicine was something that I did not take lightly, but it was one of he best decisions I have ever made in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment